It is not always easy to tame the overgrown shrubs and maintain a neat appearance for your garden. If you feel like shying away from trimming and gardening tasks, consider investing in the best hedge trimmers. They keep your hedges beautifully trimmed, creating a sharp look for your garden.
We can find a wide assortment of hedge trimmers on the market, but choosing the best hedge trimmers seems to be overwhelming. Therefore, in this post, we’ll review up to 10 options in detail, and round up this post with our 3 top-favorite picks.
- 1 Reviews: 10 Best Hedge Trimmers
- 1.1 1. Ryobi P2660 18V Lithium+ Hedge Trimmer
- 1.2 2. BLACK+DECKER 40V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer (LHT2436B)
- 1.3 3. EGO Power+ HT2400 56V 2.5Ah Lithium-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 1.4 4. BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 1.5 5. Makita XHU04PT Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 1.6 6. Sun Joe Cordless Shrubber Handheld Trimmer
- 1.7 7. Milwaukee Electric Tools 2726-20 FUEL Hedge Trimmer
- 1.8 8. Makita XHU02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 1.9 9. DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 1.10 10. Greenworks 24-Inch 40V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 2 Conclusion: Our Top 3 Picks
Reviews: 10 Best Hedge Trimmers
1. Ryobi P2660 18V Lithium+ Hedge Trimmer
RYOBI is one of the well-known brands in manufacturing quality electric power tools. This RYOBI P2660 comes with an 18-volt lithium+ battery and charger, which last for about 35-45 minutes. It weighs 7.5 pounds, which is quite lightweight, easy for gardeners to trim for a long time without overexerting yourselves.
Featuring 22-inch dual-action blades, a 3/4-inch cutting capacity, a wraparound front handle and rotating rear handle, it’s easy to maintain precise cutting angles and cut the hedges efficiently. The machine is cordless, which reduces the hassle of finding a power outlet and the mess of the cord.
What’s more, the HedgeSweep debris remover attachment is handy when clearing away clippings as you trim. At a reasonable price, the trimmer is covered by a 3-year warranty. This is not the most powerful trimmer on the market, but it’s suitable for anyone looking for a lightweight trimmer. Plus, the 18V batteries can be used on other RYOBI tools.
- Last for about 35-45 minutes
- Easy to maintain precise cutting angles
- Cut the hedges efficiently
- Cordless, lightweight
- HedgeSweep debris remover attachment is handy.
- Eeasonable price
- 3-year warranty
- 18V batteries can be used on other RYOBI tools.
- Not very powerful
2. BLACK+DECKER 40V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer (LHT2436B)
The BLACK+DECKER 40V MAX is one of the best hedge trimmers for budget if you do lots of trimming. Featuring 24-inch dual-action shearing blades and a 3/4-inch cutting capacity, it can cut through most branches.
The machine is battery operated, eliminating the pesky power cord. The 40V lithium-ion battery provides enough power to trim up to 2,000 square feet per charge, which means it lasts for approximately 60 minutes. Charging is also quick, taking about an hour to complete.
Having a full wraparound handle with a soft grip, the machine is comfortable to hold for a long time, and is easy to cut at all angles. It’s also very lightweight, about 7 pounds, making hedge trimming more of an enjoyable experience.
Although the trimmer does quite a good job of cutting thick branches, some denser, woodier branches may get stuck.
- 24-inch dual-action shearing blades
- a 3/4-inch cutting capacity
- Battery operated
- Lasts for approximately 60 minutes
- Comfortable to hold and cut at all angles
- Quick charging
- Denser, woodier branches may get stuck
3. EGO Power+ HT2400 56V 2.5Ah Lithium-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer
With the power of 56V, this EGO Power+ trimmer can cut through most thick, overgrown branches and shrubs. Its 24-inch dual-action steel blades can handle branches with the thickness up to 1 inch. In one charge, it lasts more than 1 hour, delivering 3000 strokes per minute.
The machine can use any EGO POWER+ ARC Lithium batteries, which is convenient in case your batteries run out. Although it’s powerful, it operates more quietly than we thought. Plus, it has an electric brake that stops the blade action immediately upon release of the trigger.
The trimmer is backed by a 5-year limited warranty and a 3-year limited warranty on EGO POWER+ System battery packs and chargers. Additionally, it has a weather-resistant construction, preventing it from rusting. The machine is heavier than a typical trimmer, so holding it may need some strength.
- Lasts more than 1 hour, delivering 3000 strokes per minute
- Can use any EGO POWER+ ARC Lithium batteries
- Operates quietly
- Electric brake
- 5 years warranty
- 3 years warranty on EGO POWER+ System battery packs & chargers
- Weather-resistant construction
4. BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer
If you’re looking for one of the best hedge trimmers that is budget friendly, consider this BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX. Although it’s 20V battery can’t be as powerful as other options, it doesn’t sacrifice performance. It can tackle branches up to ¾ inches in diameter with its 22-inch dual-action blades.
Operating on a 20V battery, the machine can handle 3000 square feet per charge. It comes with both the battery and the charger. There’s a PowerCut button for boosting the power.
With a light weight of 7.8 pound and ergonomic grips, the machine is comfortable to hold and cut for a long time. It cuts through most branches smoothly and efficiently, as long as the branches are not too thick.
- Budget friendly
- Can tackle branches up to ¾ inches
- Can handle 3000 square feet per charge
- PowerCut button for boosting the power
- Lightweight, ergonomic grips
- Not very powerful
5. Makita XHU04PT Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Another item on our list of the best hedge trimmers is a unit from Makita. This Makita XHU04PT uses two 18V lithium ion 5Ah batteries, which means it operates with extended run time and lasts longer. If you have lots of hedges in your garden and yard, you don’t have to worry about the machine running out of battery.
Equipped with a 25.5-inch blade, this Makita cuts through most thick branches like butter. It delivers 1800 strokes per minute, making it fast and productive. The ergonomic rotating rear handle is easy to grip, hold, and cut at any angle.
Not only does the machine come with 2 batteries, it also comes with a dual-port charger to charge 2 batteries at once. However, at 13 pounds, this trimmer is quite heavy for anyone with weak hands and arms.
- Two 18V lithium ion 5Ah batteries, extended run time
- Cuts through most thick branches
- Delivers 1800 strokes per minute
- Easy to grip, hold, and cut at any angle
- Dual-port charger to charge 2 batteries at once
6. Sun Joe Cordless Shrubber Handheld Trimmer
If you simply need a small trimmer to use in your garden, then this compact option from Sun Joe is a perfect choice. It’s also great to use for hard-to-reach areas and spots that big mowers can’t reach. It’s super small, so holding and cutting with it is extremely easy and hassle-free.
The model is available in various fun color choices, including dark blue, green, purple, red and platinum. The blades can be alternated between hedger or grass shear depending on your personal needs.
In terms of performance, the trimmer cuts through most thin branches under ¼ inch, but is quite sloppy on thicker branches. It’s because the trimmer is designed to cut branches with diameters of under 0.3 inches.
Operated on a 7.2-volt lithium-ion battery, it takes a bit long to fully charge this machine. Overall, this is a very small and lightweight option to use in small gardens and on small hedges.
- Compact, lightweight
- Use for small hedges, hard-to-reach areas and spots
- Available in various fun color choices
- Blades can be alternated between hedger or grass shear
- Takes a bit long to fully charge
7. Milwaukee Electric Tools 2726-20 FUEL Hedge Trimmer
This Milwaukee 2726-20 is one of the most heavy-duty cordless hedge trimmers. It can run up to 2 hours for each charge, and cut through branches up to ¾ inches thick. Not only is it powerful, but it’s also faster than most options on the market.
Featuring a 24-inch double-sided blade, the machine delivers 3400 strokes per minute, helping you finish your job quicker. Plus, the 18V battery helps the trimmer work longer, and you can use it with other Milwaukee tools.
The thing works like a beast, but it’s quite heavy. You may run out of strength before it runs out of battery. If you do heavy trimming, this is the ideal option.
- Heavy-duty, perfect for heavy trimming
- Run up to 2 hours for each charge
- Cut through branches up to ¾ inches thick
- Powerful, fast
- Deliver 3400 strokes per minute
- Battery can be used with other Milwaukee tools
8. Makita XHU02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Here’s another affordable option from Mikita. It’s lightweight and ergonomically designed, making holding and cutting comfortable. The anti-vibration construction has 5 cushions within the motor housing to minimize vibration while cutting.
The 22” dual double-sided shear blade is powerful on thick hedges, with a speed of 1350 strokes per minute. The machine is powered by a rechargeable lithium ion battery, and our complaint is that both the battery and charger are sold separately.
With the noise level of 87 db, the machine works quietly. It’s also equipped with Star protection computer controls to protect it against overloading, over discharging and overheating. Overall, this is a well-made tool that works as a charm and provides gardeners a pleasant cutting experience.
- Lightweight and ergonomic
- Anti-vibration construction minimize vibration
- Powerful with a speed of 1350 strokes per minute
- Works quietly
- Both the battery and charger are sold separately.
9. DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer
DeWalt is one of the most trusted brands, providing professional-grade tools that are easy to use and maintain. This DCHT820B trimmer is no exception. It’s lightweight and compact, which makes gripping, holding and cutting less tiring.
With the speed of 2,800 strokes per minute, the 22” dual blade cuts through ¾-inch branches smoothly. Operated on a 20V chargeable 5 Ah Lithium-ion battery, the machine can last about 40 minutes.
There are no carburetors, spark plugs and air filters, which means less maintenance is needed. Controlling the tool is easy with the start/stop pull trigger.
Backed by a 3-year warranty, 1-year free servicing and a 30-day money back guarantee, customers are guaranteed to shop risk-free. The only downside is that the battery and charger need to be purchased separately.
- Lightweight and compact
- 2,800 strokes per minute
- Cuts through ¾-inch branches smoothly
- Last about 40 minutes
- No carburetors, spark plugs and air filters, less maintenance
- Controlling the tool is easy
- 3-year warranty
- 1-year free servicing
- 30-day money back guarantee
- The battery and charger need to be purchased separately.
10. Greenworks 24-Inch 40V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
This trimmer from Greenworks is ranked among the best hedge trimmers for small gardens and yards. The unit comes with a 2AH battery and a wall-mounted charger, which allows it to operate for about 40-50 minutes.
The rotating rear handle with wrap around auxiliary handle is perfect for trimming at different angles with comfort. The ergonomic design makes this trimmer safe and comfortable to use.
The 24-inch dual-action steel blade provides a high-performance cutting experience with minimal vibration. With the ⅔-inch cutting capacity, the machine can cut through most shrubberies and hedges. However, it doesn’t work very well with very thick branches.
- Operate for about 40-50 minutes
- Ergonomic design, perfect for trimming at different angles with comfort
- High-performance cutting, minimal vibration
- ⅔-inch cutting capacity
- Doesn’t work very well with very thick branches
Conclusion: Our Top 3 Picks
Even the most tedious tasks can be solved with high-quality and speedy tools, and trimming your hedges is no exception. By investing in the best hedge trimmers, hedge trimming can become an enjoyable outdoor activity. It’s great to get those shrubs back in line, as even the most overgrown bushes and thickest branches can be handled.
Here are 3 options that we favor most based on their features, pros and cons:
- Best Hedge Trimmers For Budget: BLACK+DECKER 40V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer (LHT2436B)
- Best Handheld Hedge Trimmers: Sun Joe Cordless Shrubber Handheld Trimmer
- Best Hedge Trimmers For Heavy Trimming: Milwaukee Electric Tools 2726-20 FUEL Hedge Trimmer
We hope our suggestions are helpful enough to aid you in choosing the best hedge trimmers. Don’t hesitate to share with us your choices and ideas in the comment section below.