Dogs tend to run and roam everywhere, which can be dangerous if they run into a car. An invisible fence is a popular solution, allowing dogs to be free while keeping them safe. You may feel overwhelmed by thousands of invisible dog fence reviews on the market, but this kind of fence can actually prevent bad situations from happening.
Dog owners can use hidden fences to train dogs to recognize boundaries, whether via a corrective tone or mild static shock for a stronger correction. There are multiple choices out there, so picking one out can be time-consuming. Therefore, we’ll provide 10 invisible dog fence reviews in this post to help you choose the best one for your furry friends.
- 1 Top 10 Invisible Dog Fence Reviews
- 1.1 1. SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence Systems
- 1.2 2. Extreme Dog Fence – Second Generation
- 1.3 3. PetSafe Stay & Play Compact Wireless Fence for Dogs & Cats
- 1.4 4. PetSafe YardMax Rechargeable In-Ground Fence for Dogs and Cats
- 1.5 5. PetSafe Free to Roam Dog and Cat Wireless Fence
- 1.6 6. PetSafe Wireless Fence Pet Containment System
- 1.7 7. Pet Control HQ Dog Containment System Wireless Perimeter
- 1.8 8. PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence for Dogs and Cats
- 1.9 9. PetSafe Basic In-Ground Dog and Cat Fence
- 1.10 10. Free Spirit In-Ground Fence – Underground Wire Dog Containment System
- 2 Conclusion: Our Top 3 Picks
Top 10 Invisible Dog Fence Reviews
1. SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence Systems
The first option on our list is The SportDog invisible fence. The whole kit includes a transmitter, 1000 feet of wire, a waterproof collar receiver. What’s special is that it also comes with 100 flags for marking the boundaries, so your dogs know where to stop.
The thing can cover up to 10 acres range, and the installation might take some time. It features 4 levels of static correction so that you can adapt to your dogs’ characteristics. It also beeps and vibrates to warn your dog from moving out of the allowed zone.
The product is backed by a 2-year warranty from the manufacturer. We found the battery on the collar is quite big for small dogs.
- Comes with 100 flags
- 100 acres range
- 4 levels of static correction
- Beeps and vibrates to warn
- 2-year warranty
- Battery on the collar is quite big
2. Extreme Dog Fence – Second Generation
This invisible fence covers about 10 acres of the area. You can extend the area up to 5000 feet by purchasing additional wire. You can choose larger wiring options, too. And you can customize the layout of the area you want your dog to play in.
There are 5 static correction levels on the collar receiver. The collars are slim, lightweight, and waterproof. They are also adjustable to fit different sizes of dogs.
The whole kit comes with a 20-gauge boundary wire with a protective coating, transmitter, collar receiver with battery, training flags, and splice kits. Installation is easy with the manual instructions; however, there aren’t any instructions for the control unit.
The company offers a 1-year warranty for this product, and you can extend to 5 years by registering the product.
- Various wiring options
- Can customize the layout of the area
- 5 static correction levels
- Adjustable, slim, lightweight, and waterproof collar
- 1-year to 5-year warranty
- No instructions for the control unit
3. PetSafe Stay & Play Compact Wireless Fence for Dogs & Cats
Another item in our review of the best invisible dog fences is the PetSafe Stay & Play. It’s quite simple to get the thing installed within 1-2 hours, and it covers about 210 feet in diameter. It’s portable, so you can bring the whole thing with you and your dogs to wherever there’s a power outlet.
With this device, you can choose between corrective tone and static mode. There are 5 settings for the static power. Simply plug the transmitter into an outlet and set the boundary.
It’s rechargeable, waterproof, and wireless, so this is a convenient piece of equipment to own and keep your dogs safe. The thing can last up to 10 days per one charge. A few hours of training can get your dogs to know where the boundaries are. However, the collar is not very soft for your dogs, leaving spots on their necks.
- Covers about 210 feet in diameter
- Corrective tone and 5 static modes
- Rechargeable, waterproof, and wireless
- Last up to 10 days per one charge
- Collar is not very soft.
4. PetSafe YardMax Rechargeable In-Ground Fence for Dogs and Cats
Here’s another high-quality item of PetSafe in our list of the best invisible dog fences. The YardMax mode gives pets correction right at the boundary wire and provides more room for your dogs to play in.
The fence comes with a waterproof, rechargeable receiver collar. You can choose between 5 levels of adjustable static correction for more stubborn pets, and a tone-only mode for mild correction.
Simply install this underground pet fence, train your dogs for about 1-2 weeks with the company’s guide, and then your dogs can play happily and safely. Installation may require some more time, as this is an underground system.
- YardMax mode provides more room for your dogs
- Waterproof, rechargeable receiver collar
- 5 levels of adjustable static correction, tone-only mode
- Installation takes more time.
5. PetSafe Free to Roam Dog and Cat Wireless Fence
This PetSafe fence lets your dog free to roam, just like its name. It’s great for larger dogs rather than small ones. It’s a wireless fence, so setup is easy and doesn’t take much time.
The collar is adjustable and waterproof, protecting your dogs from the electric power. WIth 5 levels of static correction, and a warning tone, you can adjust the discipline levels and train your dogs to be in the safe zone.
The fence can cover up to 1/2 acres of area. If your pets pass the boundary, they can return home without the shock. The collar battery lasts up to 2 months, and there’s an indicator to alert you when the battery needs replacement.
We found that the consistency of the unit varies depending on the area and obstacles.
- Great for larger dogs
- Collar is adjustable and waterproof
- 5 levels of static correction, and a warning tone
- Battery lasts up to 2 months
- Consistency varies
6. PetSafe Wireless Fence Pet Containment System
Here’s another outstanding option on our list – the PetSafe Wireless Containment System – a system that receives thousands of invisible dog fence reviews. Installing and creating a hidden, wireless boundary is easy. The full set up takes about 2 hours or less.
The system creates a continuous radio signal which covers 90 feet of range. Simply plug in the transmitter to activate the device, and you can start training your dogs. You can put a visible signal such as a flag or a white line to indicate the boundary for your pets.
The machine corrects your dogs via corrective tone. Once your dog is near the boundary, the collar will transmit the signal and create a tone to warn your dogs against crossing the line. There are 5 levels of tone, and a battery indicator. Our complaint is that the device may not work consistently if your house has metal roof or doors.
- Wireless, easy to set up
- Covers 90 feet of range
- 5 levels of tone, battery indicator
- Not work consistently if there are metal doors or roof
7. Pet Control HQ Dog Containment System Wireless Perimeter
This wireless dog fence system comes with 500 feet of 13-gauge boundary wire, allowing you to cover large and complicated areas. The wire is thickly coated to stand the weather. It also comes with a remote control to train your dogs.
The remote can control 3 separate collars at once, convenient if you have more than one pet. It has a warning tone and 10 levels of vibration and shock. You can adjust the mode depending on your dogs’ traits.
The collar automatically stops the shock after 8 seconds to keep your dogs safe. It’s battery-operated and the battery is rechargeable. The only downside of the system is that the remote has inconsistent quality.
- Cover large and complicated areas
- Wire is thickly coated
- Remote control to train your dogs
- Control 3 separate collars at once
- Warning tone and 10 levels of vibration and shock
- Automatically stops the shock after 8 seconds
- Remote has inconsistent quality
8. PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence for Dogs and Cats
This PetSafe Stubborn device covers 500 feet of range with the included wire, and you can purchase additional wire to extend the range. It has 4 levels of static correction and corrective tone to warn your dogs about the boundaries. Additionally, there’s a vibration mode for pets with hearing problems.
If your dogs run through the boundaries, the static correction will increase the intensity. In case your dogs stay out of the allowed zone, the static mode shut off automatically after 30 seconds to keep your dogs safe. The collar is lightweight and waterproof, and you can purchase extra collars for the same system if you have more pets.
The thing operates on batteries, so make sure you have extra batteries for replacement. One downside of the system is the collar quality. It frays quickly, and is not suitable for small dogs.
- Covers 500 feet of range with the included wire
- 4 levels of static correction
- Corrective tone
- Vibration mode
- Static mode shut off automatically after 30 seconds
- Lightweight and waterproof collar
- Collar frays quickly, not suitable for small dogs.
9. PetSafe Basic In-Ground Dog and Cat Fence
This PetSafe Basic is an ideal choice for small dogs. It’s lightweight, and fits dogs with 6 to 26-inch neck. It keeps your dogs safe within the 1/3-acre area. As it’s an underground device, it comes with 500 feet of wire. The wire is sturdy to stand the weather and water.
Like the above PetSafe products, you can purchase extra collars if you have more than one dog. The collar of this set is waterproof, adjustable, and has both tone correction and static correction. With 4 levels of static mode, you can train the most stubborn pets.
The Basic is battery-operated, and the battery lasts about 2 months. The system does not work very effectively when placed near metal stuff. You may need some time to set up the device, but the installation instructions are very clear.
- Lightweight for small dogs
- Wire is sturdy
- Waterproof, adjustable collar
- Tone correction and static correction (4 levels)
- Not work very effectively when placed near metal stuff
- Set up takes some time
10. Free Spirit In-Ground Fence – Underground Wire Dog Containment System
The last invisible dog fence we want to review is from Free Spirit. It can cover 1/3 acre, and can be expanded to 1 acre with additional accessories. The whole thing is inexpensive and easy to use.
This wireless collar trains dogs via a warning tone and vibration. Once your dog passes the boundary, the device will shock it with the right amount not to hurt your dog. There are 5 levels of shock for different corrections.
The collar is adjustable and waterproof to keep your dogs comfy and safe; however, you shouldn’t let your dog wear it more than 12 hours a day. The wire that comes with this set is quite flimsy and hard to bury, but this is a decent budget option.
- Warning tone, vibration, 5 levels of shock
- Collar is adjustable and waterproof
- Wire is flimsy and hard to bury.
Conclusion: Our Top 3 Picks
Dog owners may have a headache because of their dogs roaming everywhere. For those who can’t install a traditional fence, invisible fencing is a common choice. You can simply bury some wires, or put some sensors underground, and dogs will be warned if they cross the boundaries. There are options for tone-only, and even static shock for stubborn dogs. The shock doesn’t hurt your pets, and is enough to warn him/her.
We’ve picked the 3 best options from our invisible dog fence reviews, taking into account their pros and cons.
- Best Invisible Dog Fence For Large Areas: Extreme Dog Fence – Second Generation
- Best Overall Invisible Dog Fence: PetSafe Wireless Fence Pet Containment System
- Best Invisible Dog Fence For Budget: Free Spirit In-Ground Fence – Underground Wire Dog Containment System
We hope that our in-depth invisible dog fence reviews are helpful enough for you to select a suitable option. Feel free to share your opinions with us in the comment section below!